Celebrating eleven years of Neighbours Day over ten days March 27-5 April 2020
“The kaupapa of Neighbours Day Aotearoa is to encourage people to connect with their neighbours.We focus on ten days during the end of March to the beginning of April and inspire people to do something big or small to reach out to the people around them.Neighbours Day 2020 runs from 27th March 2020 – 5th April 2020, and we hope that celebrating with your neighbours during this time will help build stronger relationships and more connected neighbourhoods all year round!”(www.neighboursday.org.nz)
To recognise Neighbours Day Aotearoa, LINK is once again encouraging community building at a grassroots level — neighbour to neighbour. For a third year we are distributing packs with two teabags and tips for neighbourhood connection to letterboxes throughout the Upper Clutha — 5000 of them! It seems a small thing, but place-based connection is where community starts. We know from LINK’s 3 Question survey that people value friendliness and supportiveness — both strengthened by connecting over a cuppa.
5 ways to connect with your neighbours
- Invite them over for a cuppa and a conversation
- Share magazines, books, produce, flowers
- Share contact details – especially important in an emergency (see community response plans on QLDC website, Alpine Fault emergency info at projectaf8.co.nz)
- Join your residents / community association – see list below
- Organise a neighbourhood get together – see our guide below
Residents / Community Associations in the Upper Clutha
- Albert Town Community Association email@example.com
- Friends of Allenby Park firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cardrona Residents and Ratepayers email@example.com
- Friends of Bullock Creek firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hawea Community Association email@example.com
- Luggate Community Association firstname.lastname@example.org
- Makarora Valley Community Incorporated email@example.com
- Mount Barker Residents Association firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peninsula Bay Neighbourhood Association email@example.com
- Penrith Park firstname.lastname@example.org
Organise a neighbourhood get together
A few years ago LINK put together this handy guide for organising a local gathering — could be a street party, BBQ, dessert, kids’ bikes and games — whatever brings folks together.
Share your neighbourly photos and win a prize!
Connect with a neighbour any way you like (but include the teabag pack), send us a photo, and be in to win an afternoon tea at a local cafe! You can email pictures and stories to email@example.com or post on our Facebook page.
Happy Neighbours Day Wanaka!
Want to spread the love?
If you didn’t get a teabag pack or want more to share, email firstname.lastname@example.org or pop into our office at 34 McDougall Street.